Kim Nieves on Facebook

Monday, September 24, 2012

D.I.Y. Project: Placemat Clutch Bag

One of the most overused phrases that I love repeating over and over again despite being heard everywhere is: "DREAM BIG!" You see I've always had this immense dream of living a luxurious life. Ambitious as it may sound, I fantasize of waking up in a 7-star sea-side hotel somewhere half-way around the world, being fetched by a Mercedes SLS all the way to the airport to ride a private jet back to my modern-contemporary-designed mansion where I keep several Hermes, Louis Vuitton and Chanel bags! Okay, now snap back to reality... I have only touched a Hermes bag, and consistently drooling to own one when heyday comes. And being still en route to success, I always try to save money the best way I can and "make-do" with what's left - even if it's just a lowly plastic placemat!

D.I.Y. Project: Placemat Clutch Bag


Materials Used:
A Plastic Placemat [we bought for only 24 pesos (USD $0.58) at Bargain Exchange, Robinson's] Velcro straps, Super glue, Decorative button, a Ruler you're not going to use anymore, and something to heat up your ruler (like a Candle and a Lighter)


This is how you do it:
1.) Fold the sides of the placemat and secure with superglue:

I chose the rougher side of the placemat to be the exposed side as it looks less plasticky.

2.) Fold up the placemat 5 inches from the bottom and secure with superglue on the sides. TIP: To fold the placemat with ease, heat the edge of the ruler first and press the heated edge against the placemat. This will create a mark to guide you:



Sorry for the crappy nails, the cracked nail polish was falling off, and I haven't redone my nails yet. It looks like an overly abstract nail art though, don't you think?

3.) Then fold up the placemat 5 inches from the top. This will serve as the flap of the bag. You will need to heat up your ruler again for this:


4.) Once the flap is finely folded, it's time to attach the velcro straps. These will be the lock of your bag:


5.) Then glue your decorative button at the bottom of the flap. The button will make the bag look like it has a magnetic snap lock. My personal term for this is: pseudo-lock. Hah!


♥ Congratulations! You've just created your own ENVELOPE CLUTCH! Let's see what could fit in this little bag:


2 phones, a digital camera, a wallet and a cologne bottle... yet this bag still looks pretty slim!


Does this bag look familiar here in my blog? Of course! I've worn this bag a couple of times already!
One. To Day 6 of the Philippine Fashion Week Holiday 2012 last May:

and~
Two. To the Dolan Batang Pinoy Superheroes and Animé 2012:

...A bag made from a 24-peso placemat! Bahaha! With a bag this cheap, I can now save lots of dough to buy a Hermes Birkin -a fake one at most. LOL! Just kiddin'. I better stick to my dream of owning original designer bags. Maybe not now, maybe in my 80's? *dunno* Well at least I know in my heart my dreams will come true. *wink!*

0 comments: