Kim Nieves on Facebook

Monday, August 6, 2012

D.I.Y. Project: Bottle Cap Ring

Once again, I was lost in our dark and dusty storage room only to find something that would make my idea bulb go "ding!" ...Or was it "ting!?"... or "ching!?"... Well anyway, what I've found is a bottle cap!

Seriously, Kim? A bottle cap?

Okay, I may sound like Spongebob here finding an empty television box, but no, it really sparked up an idea of something wearable -or tangible, at least. And what else rhymes better with idea sounds like ding & ting than the word RING!

D.I.Y. Project: Bottle Cap Ring

Materials:
Bottle Crown Cap
Large Button (I got this from an old blouse)
Plain Ring
Colored Nail Polish
Clear Nail Polish
Hot Glue
Oh, the plain rings? I got a bunch of them from Villalobos, Quiapo a couple of weeks ago, one plastic pouch of it costs around P60. (USD $1.43), though there are smaller containers available at other stores for less than P20 (USD $0.48). For sure, I'll be making lots of D.I.Y. rings from these!

So here's how to do our bottle cap ring:

1.) Paint the whole bottle cap with 2 coats of colored nail polish. Let it dry completely.

2.) Then apply 2 coats of clear nail polish. Let it dry.

3.) Glue the button into the cap.

4.) And finally, glue the plain ring on the flat side of the bottle cap.

Tada!!! Here's our finished product... Cute, isn't it?
...And guess what, I found more bottle caps after going back to that sooty storage room! It's going to be a bottle cap ring galore!
So next time you found a bottle cap, think twice before sending it to the junk shop. New ideas might just suddenly spark! DING! ^_^

0 comments: