Kim Nieves on Facebook

Saturday, August 25, 2012

D.I.Y. Project: Yellow Dye!

It was an hour before I leave home to watch the premiere night of Lovie Poe's Guni-Guni when I noticed that the white tassel earrings I was going to wear didn't match my skirt. Trying to get ahead of time, I quickly searched for that yellow acrylic paint in my honey's house... But have you ever been to that awkward moment when it won't show up the time you need it the most? It was also the moment when we had to use our resourcefulness and creativity. Good thing my boyfriend found this bottle of powdered turmeric (Luyang Dilaw) sitting over their fridge. He said turmeric is good for hair coloring, so why not try it on my tassel earrings?

D.I.Y. Project: Yellow Dye
Materials: A plastic bowl, powdered turmeric, alcohol and something to you can use for stirring (like an old toothbrush)

Instruction: Simply mix a spoonful of powdered turmeric with a little alcohol. Just make a good estimate of the amount. the less alcohol, the darker the yellow. Test the dye on a piece of fabric first.
Done! We dipped the bottom part of my tassel earrings to make 'em look ombre-fied! Please be aware that the turmeric-alcohol mixture runs high upward on the fabric so dipping only the bottom-most part can color the whole tassel earring. We had to be careful...
Now I'm ready to rock with my new tassel earrings!

0 comments: